Described by lonely planet as “a scene from the lord of rings” One of the best places to chill and relax during your self drive adventure in uganda. Lake Bunyonyi “Place of many little birds” lies in south western Uganda between kisoro and kabale close to the border with Rwanda. Located at 1,962 m above sea level, it is about 25 km long and 7 km wide. The depth of the lake is said to be 900m to maximum around 2952ft which truth makes the lake the second deepest lake in Africa. It is one of the few lakes in the region that is confirmed to be free from bilhazia and safe for swimming, The lake appears on the 50,000 Ugandan shilling note under the title “Lake Bunyonyi and terraces”.
Lake Bunyonyi literally meaning the place of many little birds is one safe for swimming. This lake boasts of over 29 islands that are interesting snaking in nature along the Ugandan landscape. These islands are of different shapes and sizes surrounded by a ring of terraced farms. The most prominent of all these islands is Akampene island commonly referred to as the punishment island traditionally where the Bakiga tribe used to dump any girl that got pregnant before marriage. She would be dumped on this island helplessly to die of starvation and hunger or drown in the waters if at all she tried swimming to the main land.
With auto rental Uganda, there are a variety of activities that one will indulge during his/her visit to lake Bunyonyi amongst which will include.
· Relaxation on the lake shores, with the breathtaking fresh air and calm climate, this place is an ideal place for a get away, the islands are ideal for the “don’t disturb areas” the honeymooners fit well in this place. the sceneries and views of small boats conoening from your traditionally built bandas make the majic for you.
· Bird watching, “The lake for small birds” well said, this lake is worldly known for the small species of most birds. Bird watchers fluequent this place for birdwatching and different endemic species.
· Swimming, This lake is well confirmed to be bilhazia free among all lakes in Africa. This place is refered to as the small swittzerland of Uganda because of its coldness, you will expect this lake to be freezing but the opposite counts. The water is ideal for swimming for all swim lovers.
· Mountain biking. For in your free time, and you’re a bike lover, this place offers mountain biking alongside the terraced hills. Its fun for the bike lovers.
· Boat rides and canoeing. Take on to the boat and canoe just like the “mukiga from Kabale” row the boat and visit the different islands on this second deepest lake in Africa. The islands with traditional tales.
· Nature walks and hiking. Self guided nature walks are ideal for your free time. Ramble around the villages of kabale, hike the terraced mountains and enjoy the cool breeze with Auto Rental uganda
· Village visits, take a walk and visit the different local markets of kabale, see how trade is done here, visit the pigmies on the island and the churches on the islands. Its an exherating adventure.
Auto Rental Uganda directs you accommodations that are up to the task when one visits lake Bunyonyi during your self drive adventure.
Bunyonyi Overland Resort
Located on the shores of Lake Bunyonyi, Bunyonyi Overland Resort is offering you a base to explore the lake, or a wonderful stop-over during your self drive adventure on your way to visit the Mountain Gorillas in the national parks of Rwanda or Uganda in South Western Uganda.
Bunyonyi Overland Resort is ecologically built, with local materials. It is locally owned and provides important employment opportunities for the people around the lake.
Bunyonyi Safaris Resort
Bunyonyi Safari Resort is located in a very peaceful, natural setting away in the small village of Kagalama. The only noise you'll hear is that of nature; birds, insects and soothing waves from Lake Bunyonyi.
Bunyonyi means a place of little birds and it's the name of a scenic crater lake located in the highlands of south western Uganda where this Lodge is located.
From Bunyonyi Safari Resort, you have the opportunity to enjoy not only the nature but the unique country side African experience. You can take a walk and enjoy the beautiful scenery, canoe trek on the lake, volunteer at a local school, eat and even participate in the local activities with your self drive adventure.
Jajama panorama resort
Jajama Panorama is a superb new resort located on the shore of Lake Bunyonyi which is an outstandingly beautiful mountain lake in south-west Uganda. Jajama is an ideal place to stay en route to seeing the world-famous mountain gorillas, being only about 50 miles from the Bwindi and Mgahinga National Parks and the Parc National des Volcans in neighboring Rwanda.
But it is also worth visiting for the local attractions including bird-watching, canoeing, hiking, swimming, and motor-boat trips, including a visit to the Batwa pygmy tribe or to simply relax in idyllic surroundings.
Byoona amagara is a traveler's paradise located at Lake Bunyonyi in the southwest of Uganda. Situated on a peninsula alongside a protected cove at the heart of the stunning and serene island-studded lake. This budget accommodation caters for the independent and budget travelers looking for serious relaxation, gorgeous views, unique accommodations and delicious food. While tranquility and relaxation in a beautiful island setting is their main attraction, there is also plenty to do from island-hopping by canoe, to trekking through the hills and villages around the lake.